VOLCANO: New book: Volcanoes: A Beginners’ Guide

New book: Volcanoes: A Beginners’ Guide
Rosaly Lopes <rosaly.m.lopes-gautier@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

New book: Volcanoes: A Beginners’ Guide, by Rosaly Lopes. Oneworld Publications, Oxford, UK.

Dear Colleagues

My latest book is a polular/ first-year undergraduate level paperback that introduces volcanoes and volcanology to non-experts. I’ve copies the text from the back cover below. You can see it at

http://www.amazon.com/Volcanoes-Beginners-Guide-Rosaly-Lopes/dp/1851687254/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296074675&sr=1-2

Rosaly Lopes

“An amazing voyage through the world of volcanoes.”

Eugene I. Smith – Professor of Geology at the University of Nevada

"A combination of hard science, historical narrative, and quirky facts. Digestible and stimulating."

Clive Oppenheimer – Reader in Volcanology at the University of Cambridge and co-author of Volcanoes

"Entertaining and highly accessible. Gripping reading!"

Sarah A. Fagents – Associate Researcher at the Hawai'i Institute of Geophysics and Planetology

Volcanoes have commanded more respect, fear, and even worship than any other natural phenomena throughout human history. Yet despite their ability to cause destruction (and disrupt air traffic), they also fertilise soil, created our first tools, and gave birth to many islands, including Hawaii.

Using famous case studies, Rosaly Lopes explains the science behind volcanoes and explores the complex impact that they have on surrounding  communities. Discover the latest research on the different types of eruptions, why they occur, and where you can find them, from the ocean floor to the outer solar system.  With tips on the best - and safest - spots to view one of Earth’s most dramatic spectacles, this fascinating introduction is fully illustrated with stunning photographs.

Dr Rosaly Lopes is a Senior Research Scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and Lead Scientist for Geophysics and Planetary Geosciences. In 2006 she  was honoured in the Guinness Book of World Records for having discovered the greatest number of active volcanoes anywhere.