VOLCANO: IUGG - WOVO session and workshop

IUGG - WOVO session and workshop
From: Andrew Tupper <A.Tupper@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear all,

Eyjafjallajökull may seem a long time ago now, but the issues of volcanic ash and aviation, and how to handle these situations with their political and scientific pressures are still very much with us.  This week, a couple of eruptions have demonstrated this.

I'm writing to plug two sessions and a workshop relevant to volcanic ash clouds and aviation at the IUGG in Melbourne, Australia, 28 June - 7 July this year.  Being Melbourne-born I'm somewhat biased, but I am sure that this is going to be great venue for a great meeting.

Abstract submissions close on 1 February.  Below are two sessions that you may wish to consider submitting too, and one WORKSHOP ON VOLCANIC ASH.  We are still doing the planning for the volcanic ash workshop, and your input and interest is very welcome.  For example, is a practical exercise (like a table-top exercise) useful?  We are keen, but we need ideas!  There has been so much work done in the past year, and it will be great to have some of that discussed and communicated in the IUGG environment, which is a great forum for bringing volcanology, remote sensing, and meteorology together.

 kind regards, Andrew Tupper (Darwin Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre)

______________________________

___________________
World Volcano Observatories (WOVO) and International Science

Organiser: IAVCEI
Co-sponsor: IAMAS
Lead Convenors: Andrew Tupper (Australia), Peter Webley (United States of America), Warner Marzocchi (Italy), John Nielson-Gammon (United States of America)

Scope: Volcano observatories charged with protecting life and property are often under intense pressure during a volcanic crisis.  The globalisation of the world's media and increased awareness of volcanic hazards to the aviation industry and to general human health, as well as volcanic effects on climate, puts additional pressure on scientists and disaster managers at the source. Conversely, observations from the wider world, including from the world's aerosol, seismic, aviation and other communities, might usefully feed back to the source to help understand an eruption in the context of its world significance.  International science efforts can also, if appropriately coordinated, significantly enhance the capacity of local scientists and disaster managers. This symposium invites case-studies about the relationship between the scientists at the volcanic source and science in the wider world.  In what ways can scientists support both local disaster mitigation and good international science? What new technologies can be applied, what observations from the source are the international community needing, and how do we help each other?
Remote Sensing of Volcanic Hazards and the Risk to Global Aviation
Organiser: IAVCEI
Co-sponsor: IAMAS
Lead Convenors: Fred Prata (Norway), Andrew Tupper (Australia), Simon Carn (United States of America)

Scope: Volcanic ash is recognized as a significant hazard to aviation.  Its global reach, the sporadic nature of volcanic eruptions and the potential impact of ash on global aviation presents a high risk and high economic impact.  The recent highly publicized Eyjafjallajoekull eruption in Iceland has clearly demonstrated the widespread societal and economic impact of volcanic ash, when it affects aviation.  The purpose of this Symposium is to bring together experts on the problem of volcanic ash as a hazard to aviation.  The primary focus will be on remote sensing techniques applied to volcanic clouds and plumes, but we welcome contributions on other aspects of the problem, including atmospheric dispersion modelling, warning systems, ground-based, airborne, and in situ measurements, aviation aspects, societal and economic impacts and new methods for helping to avoid and mitigate the risk to aviation.  The growth of air traffic in SE Asia and over the Pacific together with the large number of potentially hazardous volcanoes within the Pacific Rim, make this region particularly vulnerable.  Thus submission of research work with an emphasis on the Pacific Rim or SE Asia are strongly encouraged.

Workshop: Eyjafjallajökull, volcanic clouds, and aviation - one year on.

Location:  Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre
Leaders:  Andrew Tupper, Fred Prata, Arnau Folch

Dates: 8 - 9 July 2011 (1.5 days)

Times:
Day 1:  0930 - 1630
Day 2:  0930 - 1200