VOLCANO: EGU 2011 Session GMPV5: Monitoring and observations of active volcanoes using in-situ and remote sensing techniques

EGU 2011 Session GMPV5: Monitoring and observations of active volcanoes using in-situ and remote sensing techniques
From: mike burton <burton@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

            We warmly invite you to participate in session GMPV 5 of the EGU 2011 meeting, entitled “Monitoring and observations of active volcanoes using in-situ and remote sensing techniques”. The objective of this session is to examine both the current state of several active volcanoes and the state of the art in monitoring techniques used to observe them. We therefore strongly encourage presentations of recent and ongoing activity and the methods used to monitor this activity. By focussing on volcanoes rather than specific subject areas or techniques we will gain a broad overview of multidisciplinary approaches and a deeper insight into the volcanic systems examined.

The meeting will be held again in Vienna, but earlier than was the case for EGU 2010, EGU 2011 is between 3rd and 8th April 2011.

Abstract submission may be performed from this page by clicking on Abstract Submission: http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2010/session/1979. The deadline for abstract submissions is Monday 10th January 2010.

A summary of the session is included below. We look forward to seeing you in Vienna.

Mike Burton, Alessandro Bonaccorso, Andy Harris, Jurgen Neuberg and Thomas Staudacher,

Volcanoes produce a wide range of hazards and require an array of strategies in order to adequately protect populations living in their shadow. These monitoring strategies are under continuous development, and observations using methods both old and new reveal novel insights into volcanic processes. The aim of this session is to bring together a multidisciplinary audience to learn about recent innovations in monitoring approaches and to present observations that increase our understanding of volcanic processes. We welcome contributions from all disciplines involved in volcano monitoring, from in-situ methods such as seismic networks, geodetic networks and gas monitoring, as well as ground, air and space-based remote sensing methods. The session will provide an opportunity to discuss volcanic activity from a monitoring perspective on a wide range of volcanoes. We therefore encourage submission of papers that describe novel techniques and observations in a manner that is easily understandable to a broad, multi-disciplinary audience.