VOLCANO: Age/provenance determination of drift pumice - South Africa

Age/provenance determination of drift pumice - South Africa
From: "Sue Illgner" <sue-illgner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear All,

I have access to samples of drift pumice from a locality in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. I will be returning to this site shortly in an attempt to obtain more data on their distribution and to try and locate more samples. Similarly, I will be following up on a report of another locality this weekend. What I would like to do is link up with colleagues who have experience determining the potential age/provenance of drift pumice. I am aware of a paper published by Frick & Kent (1984) in the Transcations of the Geological Society of South Africa (87, 19-33), but do not know of a more recent publication. As South Africa has no actice volcanoes the drift pumice is something of a curiosity. If anyone out there has experience with drift pumice studies and/or is keen to be involved at trying to identify the origin of the pumice please get in touch with me.

Thanks everyone!

Kind Regards
Pete

Dr PM Illgner