Another outstanding volcano position available: Associate Program Coordinator of the USGS Volcano Hazards Program

Last week I sent a note encouraging those of you that are U.S. citizens to take a look at the Smithsonian’s opening for a volcanologist in the Department of Mineral Sciences, working with the Global Volcanism Project.

John Eichelberger, Program Coordinator (Director) of the U.S. Geological Survey’s Volcano Hazards Program, reminded me that there is another excellent and influential position available (also restricted to U.S. citizens), in this case for a more senior scientist: Associate Program Coordinator of the Volcano Hazards Program. You can find the position description by going to http://www.usajob.gov, and entering “volcano” for “field” and “Reston” for “location” (it’s the first entry, for “Physical Scientist, GS-1301-14/15 (DB-DEU).” Because it’s an official listing for a federal government position, it tends to be rather dry and generic, so I’ll add a few comments.

This is an outstanding opportunity to help lead the United States’ program of volcano monitoring and risk mitigation. One of the main position responsibilities is to “develop, and serve as primary spokesperson for, the National Volcano Early Warning System (NVEWS).” I headed a National Research Council review of this USGS program ten years ago, and one of our main recommendations was that the Survey bring in more outside scientists to diversify and reinvigorate their perspectives about geologic processes. In recent years this has been taking place, with experienced geoscientists like John Eichelberger and Marcia McNutt (USGS Director) joining the leadership. There is increasing interaction among scientists in federal mission agencies like the USGS, US Forest Service, NOAA, NASA, NIST, DOE, DOD, DOT and the State Department. In addition, the Washington DC area has a growing number of volcanologists in federal and academic positions, making for exciting new collaborative possibilities.

The application period ends this Thursday (August 19). I encourage you to check it out.

Jonathan Fink