VOLCANO: Smoke rings from Eyjafjallajokull

Smoke rings from Eyjafjallajokull
From: Joe Licciardi <joe.licciardi@xxxxxxx>

Dear all,

I recently took some photos of a smoke ring blown by Eyjafjallajokull, which can be viewed at the links below. The photos were taken on May 1 at 4:20pm local time in Iceland. Volcanic smoke/steam rings are very rare, and while spectacular examples are well-documented from past eruptions of Etna and Stromboli, I've seen virtually no discussion of smoke rings from the ongoing eruption of Eyjafjallajokull. And so, I thought these images might be of interest:

http://earth.unh.edu/licciardi/Eyja_smoke_ring.jpg
http://earth.unh.edu/licciardi/Eyja_smoke_ring_close-up.jpg

Joe Licciardi
University of New Hampshire