VOLCANO: Session at Cordilleran Section of the Geological Society of America

Session at Cordilleran Section of the Geological Society of America
From: Olivier Bachmann <bachmano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi everyone

Drew Coleman and I would like to call your attention to an upcoming symposium at the meeting of the Cordilleran Section of the Geological Society of America to be held May 27-29, 2010 in Anaheim California. Abstract deadline is March 9. The link to the Section Meeting web site is http://www.geosociety.org/sectdiv/cord/2010mtg/

Cordilleran Section, GSA, Symposium #1:
Debating the connections between the plutonic and volcanic rock records

The link between the plutonic and volcanic rock records is one of the most contentious topics in the petrology and tectonics communities, with two end member models evolving. In one, plutonic rocks are unerupted crystal cumulates that have lost liquid to the volcanic rock record. In the other, plutonic rocks are unerupted equivalents of volcanic rocks. These end members make contrasting predictions about the origin of the geochemical signature of volcanic rocks, the links between magmatism and deformation, and the geochemical evolution of the crust. We propose a session that will provide an opportunity for opposing positions to be presented back-to-back followed by discussion led by the two presenters and moderated by the session chairs. Key topics will include 1) geochemical links, 2) implications for the “room problem”, 3) differentiation mechanisms, 4) geophysical evidence, and 5) the geochronologic record.

We hope to offer a "point/counter point/discussion" format that has worked well in the past. Success depends on submission of abstracts from researchers with a variety of points-of-view.

Please contact Drew or me directly if you have any questions.

Olivier