VOLCANO: VHub - a virtual organization and community cyberinfrastructure for volcanology research and risk mitigation

VHub - a virtual organization and community cyberinfrastructure for volcanology research and risk mitigation
From: Greg Valentine <gav4@xxxxxxxxxxx>

The University at Buffalo, Michigan Technological University, and University of South Florida are pleased to announce the initiation of VHub, a new effort, funded by the U.S. National
Science Foundation, to develop a virtual organization and community cyberinfrastructure for volcanology research and risk mitigation.  The overarching goal of VHub is to provide a
mechanism for globally collaborative research and development of computational models of volcanic processes and their integration with complex geospatial, observational, and
experimental data.  VHub will work to promote seamless accessibility of appropriate models and data to organizations around the world charged with assessing and reducing risk,
reaching across resource levels and cultural boundaries.

VHub is an international effort and currently includes partners in Italy, United Kingdom, France, Spain, New Zealand, Japan, Mexico, and the USA.  We hope to continue to add partners and
welcome input about VHub as we prepare for the project.  Members of the VHub development team will be attending the Fall AGU meeting in San Francisco and presenting a poster at
Session V29, and we welcome discussion there.  Also, we are working to arrange for sessions in conjunction with upcoming IAVCEI conferences.

Details of VHub, including a description of the goals and planned work, partners, and advisory committee, can be found at http://geohazards.buffalo.edu/VHub/

The official start date of the VHub project is 1 January 2010.  Within 2-3 months of that date we will “stand up” the official VHub site.  Until then, please refer to the above web site for
documentation and updates about the project.

For information, to provide input, or to discuss partnering with VHub, please contact Greg A. Valentine (gav4@xxxxxxxxxxx).