Steve Sparks' 60th birthday

From: Gerald Ernst <plumeman2000@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear all,

RE: Steve Sparks'60th birthday !

As you may not know, Steve Sparks is just 60 years old (or young)
today. Now, as most of you know, Steve (much in the same way that
George, Steve's prof, was) is a most humble chap and not an attention-
or praise-seeker. So I hope it is clear to all that the initiative of
sending this mail is entirely my own and what good or bad comes of it
is also entirely my own responsibility.

Personally, I feel immensely grateful to Steve for all he has done to
help me grow as a volcano scientist and as a human being, and also for
all he has done to help our volcanology community, for quite some
years now.

As far as I am concerned, I have only ever seen him give his time,
expert advice and kindness generously and selflessly. To me, Steve has
epitomized what being critical and innovative but at the same time
constructive and helpful is about. By his own example and open-minded
and inclusive approach to our science, he has inspired any good work
(if any) I may myself have become associated with in volcanology.

I may be mistaken but I believe that there are many among us who will
also have been inspired, trained, encouraged, helped one way or
another by Steve, and that his mark on our community has been both a
radical one, a wide-ranging one and a most benevolent one.

If you share this feeling of gratitude that I personally feel for
Steve or would like to give him a friendly tap on the shoulder on his
birthday, why not send him a brief mail telling him directly what it
is he may have done (or not done ?) that may have helped your own
life, research, career, efforts ?

My aim by sending this mail is not to become responsible for Steve's
email box becoming oversaturated with huge emails, so may I suggest
that those who wish to drop him a line try to be as brief and specific
as possible in any appreciation they'd like to send him ?

I am not in any way Steve's spin doctor or career manager - he clearly
does not need any of that.  So best to send your mails directly to
Steve at: Steve.Sparks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

STEVE - I hope you will not mind my inviting our colleagues to share
any appreciation if they would like to share with you on this special
day, especially those, like myself, who are not physically near enough
to Bristol and have no chance of visiting you soon or of getting you a
pint on your birthday !

Amitiés, best wishes and kind regards to all,
Gerald