Non-Juvenile Volcanic Ash

From: H.R. Naslund <naslund@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Colleagues,

  We are looking at a “volcanic ash” in an evaporite sequence that
contains fresh feldspar, biotite, and quartz, but has no glass.   I
think this may be the result of a phreatic eruption through an
existing volcanic plug rather than an eruption of fresh magma.  Does
anyone know of a good reference for non-juvenile ashes in the geologic
record?  We wonder how widely distributed they may be and what they
would look like at some distance from the source.

Thanks,

H.R. "Dick" Naslund
Binghamton University
Binghamton, NY 13902