AGU Session V34: Flow and Fracture of Magma

From: Yan Lavallée <lavallee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi folks,

this is a last minute reminder about the special session on "Session
V34: Flow and Fracture of Magma: Bringing Together Experimentation,
Modelling and Monitoring".Studies in this field are thriving and we
count on your contribution to supplement two most excellent, invited
presentations by Peter Sammonds and Steve McNutt; book your ticket
now, the show promises to be very exciting again this year!

Magma is ductile, magma is brittle. Structural analysis of volcanic
conduit margins and the interior of lava domes reveals a wide spectrum
of behaviour from slow, fluid-like deformation to rapid, brittle
fracturing and progressive development of fault gauges. It is
increasingly apparent that this contrasting rheological behaviour
plays a key role in controlling ascent dynamics, eruption styles and
monitored indicators of unrest, especially since we now have
experimental proof that high-temperature magma fracture is
seismogenic. This new evidence suggests that careful monitoring of
seismicity, ground deformation and degassing can potentially be used
to track the transition from ductile to brittle flow behaviour, and
therefore to forecast the transitions of eruptive styles.

We propose a multidisciplinary session in which field observations,
laboratory experiments, multi-parameter modelling and numerical
simulations will improve our understanding of magma ascent and
eruptive processes, with the aim of developing a viable eruption
forecast method. This session aims to draw together multi-disciplinary
contributions in order to illuminate new approaches, methodologies and
results. We encourage a diverse range of submissions encompassing
magma rheology and fracture mechanics, textural studies, conduit
dynamics, lava dome growth, brittle-ductile structures,
multi-parameter modelling and forecasting methods.

Your hosts and friends,

Yan Lavallée
LMU-Munich
lavallee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hugh Tuffen
Lancaster University
h.tuffen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Alina Hale
Australian Computational Earth Systems Simulator
alinah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Arthur Jolly
GNS Science
A.Jolly@xxxxxxxxxx