AGU Session IN02: Visualizing Scientific Data Using KML and Virtual Globes

From: Dina Y Venezky <dvenezky@xxxxxxxx>

We would like to call your attention to this year's visualizing geospatial
data session,
Session IN02: Visualizing Scientific Data Using KML and Virtual Globes.

Sponsor: Earth and Space Science Informatics
Co-Sponsors:

   * Atmospheric Sciences
   * Biogeosciences
   * Cryosphere
   * Education and Human Resources
   * Global Environmental Change
   * Hydrology
   * Ocean Sciences
   * Planetary Sciences
   * Public Affairs
   * Seismology
   * Volcanology, Geochemistry, and Petrology

Interactive Poster/Demonstrations - As part of Virtual Globes at AGU each
presenter will have access to a large plasma screen, table, power and
hardwire internet. These will be organized and paid for by the session
conveners.

Abstract:
Since NASA World Wind (2004) and Google Earth (2005) brought the concept
of a Virtual Globe into the general public's consciousness, our concept of
how to view the planet we live on has permanently changed. Similar to the
way the internet changed the way we store, access and sort information,
Virtual Globes are reshaping our perspective of how best to visualize
geospatial data. One the key components of this evolution has been
emergence of Keyhole MarkUp Language (KML) as the preferred code for
adding and controlling content in these technologies. Now recognized by
the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) as an international standard, KML is
now increasingly supported by a range of platforms, including Google Earth
and Maps, NASA World Wind, ESRI ArcGIS Explorer and Microsoft's Virtual
Earth and EarthBrowser.

The Virtual Globes at AGU session seeks to provide a forum for users to
exchange ideas, promote concepts and demonstrate innovations using KML
and/or globe and other geobrowser technologies. We also welcome
participation from the wider 3D visualization scientific user community.
Our intent is to bring together scientists, educators, developers and any
individuals interested in promoting the use of these technologies for
better scientific understanding, public outreach and education about our
real world.

Additional information can be found at
http://conferences.images.alaska.edu/agu/2008/index.htm

Abstracts are due by 23:59 UT on 10 September 2008. Submit abstracts to
AGU at the following url:
http://submissions3.agu.org/submission/entrance.asp

If you have any questions regarding Virtual Globes at AGU please contact
the conveners at geobrowser@xxxxxxxxx

Best,

Dina Venezky
USGS Volcano Hazards