Sudden Eruption at Minchinmávida Volcano, Chile

From: Richard Wunderman <WUNDERMA@xxxxxx>

Minchinmávida (an ice-covered stratovolcano in S. Chile) last erupted
in the year 1835, but this morning (2 May) I had a call on my
voicemail from Mike Turk (Washington VAAC) announcing a sudden
explosive eruption there.

Mike said that very poor visibility was present from the ground but
from various observations the ash plume's top reached **55,000 feet**
altitude.  People were unable to see the sky.  Several strong pulses
apparently occurred, and the main activity went from 0700-1300 UTC
(six hours).

Information is still sketchy but we will provide news on the homepage
of our website as we have time and it is available.  The volcano
resides in the Andes near the coast ~300 km N of Cerro Hudson.  The
coastline here is sheltered from the Pacific by a large island (Isla
de Chiloe). My atlas suggests that the nearest large town is Esquel
(Argentina), which sits several hundred kilometer away and almost
directly E of Minchinmavida.

See GVP data (including lat/long) at

http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/volcano.cfm?vnum=1508-04=
(we lack any monthly or weekly reports).

The Chilean agency SERNAGEOMIN is a likely place to see authoritative postings
http://www.sernageomin.cl/index.php?plantilla=categoria&option=com_content&task=section&id=39&Itemid=43