IAVCEI 2008: Data Processing, Statistics, and Pattern Recognition in Volcanology (2-h)

From: Charles Connor <cconnor@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I draw your attention to this special session at the IAVCEI meeting in
Iceland this August. We anticipate a lot of interest in this session
from the many volcanologists interested in application of innovative
statistical methods in our science. Invited speakers include:

Eliza Calder - The use of self-organizing maps to identify patterns in
multivariate monitoring data associated with lava dome collapse

Thea Hincks - A probabilistic risk model for explosive eruption impact
 assessment

Warner Marzocchi - Volcanic Risk Metric: a new paradigm for volcanic
risk evaluation and management. The case study of Mt. Vesuvius

Please submit your abstract to this session before April 1!

2-h  Data processing, statistics and pattern recognition in Volcanology
Conveners:

Chuck Connor, Department of Geology, University of South Florida, USA,
cconnor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Heidy Mader, Department of Earth Sciences, University of Bristol, UK,
h.m.mader@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

In the last decade or so, researchers have exploited a wide range of
analytical and statistical methods for dealing with stochastic and
distributed datasets. This represents a major step forward within
physical volcanological modelling as we move to a new generation of
probabilistic or statistical models. The primary aim of this new
activity is to develop and promote rigorous methods for quantifying
the likelihood of outcomes given the set of current and past
observations. The IAVCEI Commission on Statistics in Volcanology
(COSIV) was established in 2007 to foster statistical analysis of
volcanological data. This session is the inaugural meeting for COSIV.
We invite papers on all aspects of the application of statistical
methods to volcanic data in areas such as description and analysis of
field data, time series and forecasting, and model validation.

Commission: Statistics in Volcanology (COSIV)