Travel Grants for Volcanology Graduate Students in US Universities to IAVCEI General Assembly, Iceland

From: William Rose <raman@xxxxxxx>

Travel Grants for volcanology graduate students in US Universities to
IAVCEI General Assembly, Iceland

Funding has been applied for from the US National Science Foundation
for travel support for students enrolled in US graduate programs to
attend the IAVCEI meeting in Iceland this August. Students from any US
graduate program doing volcanological research are eligible if they
submit at least one abstract for the meeting.  Students are asked to
submit, as one .pdf file, their current resume, their IAVCEI
abstract(s), a personal statement of why attending this meeting is
advantageous and a statement concerning available costshare from other
sources along with anticipated budget. A key feature of this meeting
is the number of focused workshops before and after the meeting of
special relevance and value to students. We will give priority in
making the awards to students who are enrolled in these workshops so
please state your specific intention in this regard in your letter of
application.  We will also consider how close you are to dissertation
completion, whether you have received support for such meetings in the
past and gender, racial and geographic diversity in our funding
decisions.
The cost of attending the conference and a workshop or field trip is
estimated at about $4400 each, but we can support only the cost of
travel hotel and meeting registration or about $2500.  We expect that
the student's university support can help them by paying part of the
cost, including workshops and field trips. We are hoping to be able to
support 12 or more students, but funding is undecided and uncertain at
this point.
Selection of successful applicants will be made by a special AGU-VGP
committee consisting of volcanology faculty at US universities: Bruce
Houghton, Paul Wallace, Eliza Calder and Bill Rose.  The committee's
criteria for selection will be based on the impact of the proposed
package of activities  in advancing the student's research portfolio.
Funds from NSF are expected to be supplemented by additional support
from IAVCEI.

Submit your .pdf application to Bill Rose (raman@xxxxxxx). Application
deadline is 15 March 2008.

Bill Rose