IGC Oslo 2008: Session on Initiation, Evolution and Origin of Large Igneous Provinces

From: Sverre Planke <planke@xxxxxxx>

We would like to encourage your participation in the following session
at the 2008 International Geological Congress in Oslo, Norway (August
6th – 14th).

MPI-05 Large Igneous Provinces: Initiation, evolution and origin

The events during initiation of some mafic Large Igneous Provinces
(North Atlantic, Ferrar, and Karoo Igneous Province) were studied
recently, with spectacular results and new concepts. In all cases we
see that early emplacement occurred as sills in a shallow crustal
environment with abundant magma-wet sediment interaction and diatreme
formation. However, this initial character may be due to the local
geology of young unconsolidated sediments overlying crystalline
basement. We can neither identify an initial phase of small volume
magma emplacement, nor a regular early involvement of molten
continental crust. In the Ferrar Province, we recognize that the
magmas belong to the tholeiitic differentiation series with the early
intrusive andesitic magmas being more evolved than the later plateau
forming basaltic andesitic lavas. Which of these observations are of
general relevance for LIP formation and are crucial pieces in the big
puzzle ? How are Silicic Large Igneous Provinces initiated, do they
start with a mafic initial phase ?

We invite any geoscientist working on the topic of initiation of mafic
or silicic LIP to present his/her new data from other LIPs on earth in
order to gain a more precise understanding of the early processes
during production, evolution and emplacement of such catastrophic
volumes of magma.

Conveners: Lothar Viereck-Goette, Sverre Planke

Abstract submission deadline: February 29th 2008