IAVCEI General Assembly 2008: Earth Sciences for Society

From: Uli Martin <Ceboruco@xxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the following session:
"Earth Sciences for Society - an International Year of Planet Earth  -
education, outreach and geo-conservation with special reference to
volcanic hazard
that will be convened at the 2008 IAVCEI
General Assembly in Reykjavik, Iceland, 18-22 August, 2008. The
abstract submission deadline is 1 April 2008. Further information can
be found at http://www.iavcei2008.hi.is/page/I08-intro

Presentations that cover this area are welcome.

Session 4-h: "Earth Sciences for Society - an International Year of
Planet Earth  - education, outreach and geo-conservation with special
reference to volcanic hazard

Conveners:
Ulrike Martin, Geo-Zentrum an der KTB, Germany, ceboruco@xxxxxx
[mailto:ceboruco@xxxxxx]

Co-convenors: Jan Lindsay, U. of Auckland, New Zealand,
j.lindsay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:j.lindsay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Patricia Mothes, Instituto Geofísico, Ecuador, pmothes@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:pmothes@xxxxxxxxxxxx]

Finding a way to attract the public to become more aware of the
importance of geo-sciences in their environment is a difficult task,
and is the main aim of the 2008 International Year of Planet Earth.
The broad socio-economic spread in our society and the range of
educational backgrounds make it difficult to capture groups to raise
awareness. Earth System Science is a new revolution in the approach to
geology teaching, and is proving to have great potential to capture
people s imaginations and raise awareness and scientific understanding
of the entire Earth System. It provides a physical basis for
understanding the world in which we live. This understanding is
especially important with respect to geological hazards.

We invite contributions that show trusted and/or novel ways to help
increase public awareness of geological hazards, especially volcanic
hazards, and to help focus world attention on the special relationship
between humanity and its planet and on the important role of Earth
scientists in this relationship. In addition, we also invite
contributions dealing with geo-conservation, and examples of
successful cooperation and mutual support between universities and
schools in volcanic hazard education.

The 2008 International Year of Planet Earth seeks to highlight the
importance of Earth Scientists as key players in creating a
sustainable future for humans and their planet. It is therefore
appropriate that papers should highlight the vital role of Earth
scientists in outreach and education, and the role of the Earth
science discipline in addressing the most urgent problems facing our
planet.