IGC Oslo 2008: Volcanic eruptions: Chamber, conduit, and depositional processes

From: Valentin Troll (trollv@xxxxxxxxxxx)

We would like to draw your attention to our symposium at the 33rd
International Geological Congress to be held in Oslo from 6-14
August, 2008:

Session: Volcanic eruptions: Chamber, conduit and depositional
processes and their implication for monitoring and hazard assessment

Convenors:
Valentin Troll (trollv@xxxxxxxxxxx)
Jane Chadwick (jane.chadwick@xxxxxxxxxx)

Summary

The volcano-magma system comprises the source region where magma is
generated, the storage reservoirs where it ponds and evolves, the
feeder conduits and the edifice from which a fraction of the original
magma eventually erupts. The assessment of the eruptive behaviour of
volcanoes is largely dependent on the interplay of processes and
physical parameters that influence magmas from source to surface.
This session seeks to bring together researchers from across the
fields of petrology, volcanology and volcano monitoring to summarise
the current state of knowledge and discuss future avenues for
multi-disciplinary research approaches to understanding the
volcano-magma system. We welcome contributions on petrological and
geochemical studies of plutons and volcanoes, experimental petrology,
physical and chemical aspects of transport in conduits, fragmentation
and dispersal of volcanic products, as well as geophysical and remote
monitoring techniques of volcano-magmatic systems.

Please note that the application and abstract deadline for the
Geohost Stipend programme (for young scientists and/or scientists
from developing countries) is January 15th 2008. The regular abstract
submission deadline is  in February 2008 (see www.33igc.org).