EGU 2008 Vienna: Understanding Physical and Chemical Signals at Active Volcanoes

From: Cynthia A Werner <cwerner@xxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to bring your attention to the following session at the EGU
General Assembly (13th-18th of April 2008, Vienna, Austria) and are looking
forward to your contributions:

GMPV21    Understanding Physical and Chemical Signals at Active Volcanoes

In this session we would like to highlight studies that investigate the
interactions between multiphase fluids and host rocks in volcanic systems
by demonstrating linkages between seismicity, degassing, ground
deformation and gravity time series data and associated modeling.

Session description:

Magmatic and hydrothermal processes at active volcanoes involve the
migration of multiphase fluids at depth, and their dynamic coupling with
the hosting rock. Such movements are identified at the surface in terms of
variations in geophysical and geochemical parameters, and the
understanding of such changes is critical for the prompt identification of
volcanic unrest. Recent technological advances allow for detection of
multiple signals over broad temporal scales, thus opening new avenues to
the multi-disciplinary interpretation of subsurface mass migration and
fluid-rock interaction. We invite contributions that integrate geophysical
and geochemical data in the investigation of either quiescent or eruptive
stages at active volcanoes. We particularly welcome contributions that
demonstrate clear linkages between seismicity, degassing, ground
deformation and gravity time series. Results from forward numerical models
of fluid-dynamics and fluid-rock interactions are equally welcome.

Conveners:
Gilberto Saccorotti (Instituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia,
Pisa, Italy)
Cynthia Werner (U.S. Geological Survey, Cascades Volcano Observatory,
Vancouver, WA, U.S.A.)

Further information can be found on:

EGU:
http://meetings.copernicus.org/egu2008/index.html