Questions Regarding Hydrothermal Systems

From: Chris Nye <cnye@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Listserve members;

What percentage of volcanoes have robust, shallow, hydrothermal
systems?  Specifically what percentage of stratovolcanoes have, within
2-3 km of the surface, hydrothermal systems that are robust enough to
support megawatt-scale geothermal plants?  The answer lies somewhere
between none and all, but is it a few? some? most?  I'm interested in
gut-level guesses, "conventional wisdom", carefully considered
estimates, or references to appropriate literature.  Responses that
are parsed according to volcano type or tectonic setting are welcome.
I'm trying to take the pulse of our community, not derive a
scientifically valid result.  If I get a number of replies I'll
summarize them and circulate the results -- with or without your name
attached (I certainly wouldn't want my name attached to my sense "some
but not most" unless I was there for the discussion).

Why am I interested?  In the current energy climate there is a lot of
scrambling trying to identify alternative sources of power for
electrical generation.  Planners, utility managers, and politicians
are trying to sort out what comes next.  In my area (Alaska) some
non-geoscientist people are making plans based on assumptions which
are (imho) overly optimistic.  I'm anticipating being asked by some
legislative subcommittee to make a statement about the long term
potential of geothermal related to a volcano for which we don't have
good exploration data, and that "we don't know" won't be a good enough
answer.

One great source of uncertainty concerns blind geothermal systems.  If
we believe that significant shallow geothermal systems will (most of
the time) bleed up to the surface then it's easier to make a decent
estimation.  If we believe that a significant number of shallow
geothermal systems don't communicate with the surface then making a
decent estimate of their number is problematic.

This isn't about the future potential of geothermal in general because
it doesn't include non-volcanic areas; it doesn't include uses of
geothermal fluids other than electricity generation; and it doesn't
consider economic viability, or even permitting issues.

Thanks in advance to all who take the time to reply
Chris Nye (cnye@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - (907) 474-7430)

Christopher Nye
Alaska Volcano Observatory
Alaska Division of Geological and Geophysical Surveys
cnye@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ph: (907) 474-7430
snailmail:  Chris Nye, AVO/DGGS, UAF Geophysical Institute, 903
Koyukuk Drive, Fairbanks, AK 99775-7320