Anak Krakatau

From: Juerg Alean <juerg.alean@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear volcanophiles

In Indonesia, Anak Krakatao is in a phase of eruptive activity. One
of our team (Fulle)  had the opportunity to undertake a brief
expedition to the Krakatao caldera and found most favorable
conditions to observe and record varied and spectacular activity,
including strombolian and vulcanian eruptions from 21. till 24
November 2007.

Organizing a trip on such notice was challenging. Without efficient
and professional support by VolcanoDiscovery (Tom Pfeiffer) the
expedition probably would never have materialized. Many thanks Tom!

Photos of the still on-going eruption can be found on two websites:
Stromboli online:       http://www.stromboli.net/perm/krakatau/index-en.html
VolcanoDiscovery:
http://www.volcanodiscovery.com/volcano-tours/krakatau/photos.html

We hope you enjoy the visual impact of some "Big Bangs"!

Pyroclastic greetings!
Stromboli online (http://www.stromboli.net)
Marco Fulle, fulle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Juerg Alean, jalean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Roberto Carniel, rcarniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: Tom Pfeiffer <tpfeiffer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Volcano List community,

we just came back from Krakatau (and Kelud) - for those interested,
here's a summary of our observations on Krakatau, and a link to photos
at www.volcanodiscovery.com (below):

weather, we were able to observe Anak Krakatau's ongoing eruption
during 21-26 November: overall, its activity was relatively constant
and ranged from strong strombolian to weak vulcanian activity,
probably according to various levels of phreatomagmatic and magmatic
activity within the conduit.
All activity occurred from the newly formed crater on the upper
southern flank just below the old summit crater of Anak Kraktau. On 21
November, this crater had an oval shape and was approximately 50x70 m
in diameter. Reports of lava flows earlier in the course of the
eruption could not be verified and no deposits from lava flows were
visible, only debris from ejected solid blocks and a few deformed
fresh bombs.

Ash venting:
The most frequent, typical type of acitivty that was present during
most of the time consisted in ash venting. Dense, dark brown brown,
billowing ash clouds escaped in pulses from the crater, rose typically
100-200 meter and occurred at near-constant intervals of about 2
minutes. At all times, the ash was drifting east due to near constant
westerly winds.  Only few or no blocks were observed being ejected
along with such ash clouds. On 24 November, we observed phases where
ash venting became continous over several minutes.

Vulcanian eruptions:
At more irregular intervals, about 10-30 minutes apart, more violent,
small vulcanian-type explosions interrupted the ash venting events.
The explosions consisted in a sudden spray of mostly solid rocks and
few incandescent scoria, followed by more powerful and turbulent ash
plumes, which rose up to above 1 km.
Generally, these vulcanian-type explosions tended to occur after
slighly longer repose intervals with no or little visible activity in
the crater and in most cases, the length of the repose interval was
correlated with the force of the explosion. Several exceptionally
powerful explosions occurred at intervals of approximately 16-24
hours: the strongest one occurred happened shortly after midnight on
21-22 November, and showered the whole of Anak Krakatau island with
incandescent blocks, ignited bush fires and produced a very loud
cannon-shot noise that rattled windows on the west coast 40 km away.
Other unusually large blasts occurred at around 2am on 21 Nov, at
around 9am and 1:20 pm on 23 November.

Strombolian activity:
Activity shifted temporarily towards more strombolian type explosions
on the evening of 22 November: until about 1 am on 23 November, most
activity then consisted in bright, scoria-rich strombolian explosions
with lots of fresh incandescent bombs that produced only relatively
little ash compared to the preivious activity. After some of the more
powerful strombolian explosions, we observed weak, near-continuous
spattering from a vent in the crater.

Increasing activity after 23 Nov:
Early on 23 November, activity returned to more ash-rich, probably
phreatomagmatic in origin, activity. Ash production and the average
violence of the individual events increased slighlty but visibly over
the next two days, while a rythm of single events at near-constant
intervals of about 2 minutes was maintained. During 24-25 November,
ash plumes typically rose to >1 km above the crater and were well
visible from the west coast.

Photos showing the activity and impressions from the expedition can be found at:
http://www.volcanodiscovery.com/volcano-tours/krakatau/photos.html

Many greetings,

Tom Pfeiffer / VolcanoDiscovery
Dr. T. Pfeiffer, volcanologist