Seeking PhD in Volcanology

From: Florent Bech <flo.bech@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Researchers/Professors,

My name is Florent Bech. I am a French student who graduated with a
Master's degree in June 2006, specializing in magmas and volcanoes in
the Laboratory "Magmas et Volcans" (LMV) at Clermont-Ferrand (
http://wwwobs.univ-bpclermont.fr/lmv ). My earth science university
curriculum focused on magmatology, geochemistry, experimental
petrology, and volcanism. During these years of study, I was able to
complement my classroom experience with ample time in the field and in
the laboratory. I achieved two laboratory internships in the
Laboratory "Magmas et Volcans": the first in 2005 with Ben Van Wik de
Vries (b.vanwyk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ), which consisted in the
study of debris avalanches by analogical modeling; and the second in
2006 with Tim Druitt (T.Druitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ), which
consisted in the study of bubble size distribution in pumices produced
during the eruption of Soufrière Hills Volcano at Montserrat. The
tools I have mainly used during these internships and my studies are:
general and detailed field mapping, laboratory small scale analogue
modelling (silicon, sand), photo interpretation (Envi, Surfer and
Image J), vesicularity analysis through Scanning Electron Microscope
and matlab programming.

I have a wide range of interests and qualifications, and I am
currently looking for a PhD focused on one of these topics: explosive
volcanism, caldera formation and subsidence, pyroclastic flows/surges,
debris avalanche triggering mechanisms and transport, lahar formation,
magma rheology, structural evolution of volcanic edifices.

I would like to apply for a PhD in the field of the volcanology
allowing me to learn new laboratory techniques of study and thus to
improve my knowledge in the field of the volcanology. I thus am
looking for a researcher interested in having me as a PhD student. Of
course I can send CV and transcripts.

Thank you for your time and interest,

Yours sincerely,

Florent BECH.