Kverkfjoll Volcano Seismic Activity

Jón Frímann <jonfr@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,

This is my first offical volcano update notice on a possible eruption
in Iceland, please note that I am an ameatur in volcano science. I am
not a professional. It appears that the volcano system Kverkfjöll is
on the move, but there has been a series of small earthquakes in the
Kverkfjöll fissure swarm. There have been many small earthquakes
recorded, most of them happen at the depth of ~20 km, but the depth is
up to 15 km at the moment. Since the swarm started six months ago
Icelandic Met office has recorded about ~2000 earthquakes at the
location, called Upptyppinga, which are mountians as far as I can
tell. IMO has incresed it's surveilance of the area. I will send out a
new upate notice on the activity as soon as I know more.

       Here is information on the volcano.
       http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/volcano.cfm?vnum=1703-05=

       Regards.