IAVCEI Workshop at the IUGG Meeting

From: Warner Marzocchi <warner.marzocchi@xxxxxxx>

Dear all,

I bring to your attention an IAVCEI workshop to be held during the IUGG meeting
in Perugia:
ERUPTION FORECASTING THROUGH THE BAYESIAN EVENT TREE: MOVING FROM THEORY
TO PRACTICE WITH THE SOFTWARE PACKAGE BET_EF (W. Marzocchi and J. Selva, INGV)
The workshop is open (and free) to everyone. It will be held Thursday 12th of
July from 5:30 pm to 8:00 pm in Room 16 of the Academy of Fine Arts.
During the workshop there will be a light buffet and some beverages.
More information can be found below and at the website:

http://www.iugg2007perugia.it/customPage.asp?inAct=V&inObj=104&inPag=7&inDoc=7

In order to organize the best workshop we need to have an estimation of the
number of participants; therefore, if you intend to participate (obviously
without obligation) or if you need more information please send an email to
marzocchi@xxxxxxx

*** DESCRIPTION OF THE WORKSHOP ***

The workshop aims to present BET_EF, a free software package (OS Windows) that
allows graphically supported computing of short- to long-term eruption
forecasting by merging all the available information, such as theoretical
models, a priori beliefs, monitoring measures, and any kind of past data, all
of them provided by the end user. BET_EF deals with short- and long-term
forecasting; therefore it can be useful in many practical aspects, such as land
use planning and during volcanic emergencies.

The workshop will be organized in three parts:
Part 1. A short introduction to the BET model.  We show the technical details
of the code and the practical utility.
Part 2.  How to install BET_EF. The code will be distributed for free to the
participants. We also give assistance to the participants with laptops.
Part 3.  How BET works. Several tutorials will be run, to show how
volcanological information is uploaded and how BET_EF works in practical cases,
i.e., during emergencies.

Dr. Warner Marzocchi
Co-chairman WOVO (World Organization of Volcano Observatories)
INGV - Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia
Via di Vigna Murata 605, 00143 Roma, ITALY
Tel.: (+39)06-51860589
Fax: (+39)06-51860507
Cellphone: (+39)335-349759
e-mail: warner.marzocchi@xxxxxxx