Earthquakes With Low Frequency

*************************************
Jón Frímann <jonfr@xxxxxxxxx>
*************************************

Hi

I am an amature in recording earthquakes and monitoring volcanoes. I was
advised by one member of the PSN group to contact you about this
occurrence that I have seen in regards of a volcano called Katla
(Myrdalsjokull) in Iceland.

Here is the orginal message to the PSN group.

------
Hi all

My new station at Borgarnes is close enugh to record earthquakes from
the Myrdalsjokull Volcano
(http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/volcano.cfm?vnum=1702-03=).

I have already recored a few earthquakes from that volcano. But most of
them are small, from mag 1.5 to 2.2 on the Ricther scale. But most of
those earthquakes have strange characteristics that I have known about for
years, but have never been able to understand or see before. Most of these
earthquakes have frequencies that go down to 1Hz and lower. Based on the
poor recordings I got, there appears to be small tremor noise
(magma moving?) following the earthquakes. But because of how the poor
current recordings are, that is unconfirmed at the moment.

Any suggestions on what I am looking at are welcomed. Since I am unsure
what is going on in the Myrdalsjokull (Katla) Volcano. But it is known
that the Myrdalsjokull Volcano has been warming up for a long time now
and is ready to blow at any time.
-----

I have contacted the Icelandic met office in the past about these
earthquakes, since I have known about this for few years, they also know
about this. But they are no closer then I to understanding what creates
these low frequency earthquakes. They have theories about the earthquake
passing trugh a layer of magma or a pocket of magma. But this still is a
mistery to me.

I got a 4.5Hz sensor located in a town called Borgarnes, the distance to
Katla is about ~110 km.

As it stands, Katla is quiet at the moment as I see it. The volcano next
to it, called Eyjafjallajokull
(http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/volcano.cfm?vnum=1702-02=) is also
quiet.

Thanks for your help.