AGU Joint Meeting session V20: Volcanic Flank Collapses

*********************************
From:
Gary McMurtry <garym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*********************************

V20:
Volcanic Flank Collapses

Convener:
Jose Celestino Guerrero-Garcia
Instituto de Geologia, UNAM
Cd. Universitaria
Mexico, DF, MEX  04510
525-55622-4291
josec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Emilio Herrero-Bervera
SOEST-HIGP
University of Hawaii at Manoa
1680 East West Rd
Honolulu, HI, USA  96822
808-956-6192
herrero@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Gary McMurtry
SOEST Department of Oceanography
University of Hawaii at Manoa
MSB 325
1000 Pope Road
Honolulu, HI, USA  96822
808-956-6858
garym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This session explores the impact of recent advances of volcanic flank collapses in the world. This session will highlight aspects of structural failure of edifices that result in landslides that can generate destructive tsunamis. We are seeking contributions related to the origin of the failure process and their mechanisms as well as their products. We also invite contributions related to the study of new techniques, such as the numerical analyses of endogenetic and exogenetic mass wasting events. The study of volcanic hazards is one area in which VGP scientists have great societal impact and contributions related to such hazards are also envisaged.