EGU 2007 session: Deterministic and probabilistic prediction of volcanic scenarios

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to our session GMPV4 on
“Deterministic and probabilistic prediction of volcanic scenarios” to be
held during the next EGU General Assembly, Vienna, Austria, 15-20 April,
2007.

For more information read the description below or visit the following link:
http://www.cosis.net/members/meetings/programme/view.php?p_id=240

We also remain you that the abstract deadline is 15 January, 2007.
Best regards,

Dr. Warner Marzocchi
INGV - Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia
Via Donato Creti 12, 40128 Bologna, ITALY
e-mail: marzocchi@xxxxxxxxxx

Dr. Arnau Folch
INGV- Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia
Via Diocleziano 325, Napoli, ITALY
e-mail: afolch@xxxxxxxxxx

SESION GMPV4 DESCRIPTION:
“Deterministic and probabilistic prediction of volcanological scenarios”

Volcanic activity threats today millions of people worldwide. The
evaluation of volcanic risk is a subject of fundamental importance for
communities to develop adequate territorial planning and mitigation
policies. The primary scientific ingredient for a sound risk analysis is a
reliable volcanic hazard evaluation, i.e., the estimation of probability
per unit time and space of any specific hazardous event related to
volcanic eruptions (pyroclastic flows, fall out, lava flows, etc.). For
such a goal to succeed it is necessary to develop quantitative
multidisciplinary strategies that span from physical and statistical
modeling, data collection and interpretation, expert elicitation, and
development of probabilistic schemes to integrate the information available. This session welcomes all these kinds of multidisciplinary contributions dealing with the
prediction/forecasting and modelling of volcanological scenarios.
Contributions on recent volcanic crises and disasters are also warmly
invited.