Tongan source vent identified!

***********************
Re: HOME REEF disclosed as the source vent for the extensive pumice rafts in
the Tonga-Fiji area during late August to present (2006).
  www.matangitonga.to/article/tonganews/disasters/new_island061106.shtml
***********************

Dear fellow Earth scientists,

A few weeks ago we learned of extensive pumice rafts seen in the Tonga-Fiji
region, which editors at the Smithsonian's Bulletin of the Global Volcanism
Network tentatively thought had come from the Tongan submarine volcano Metis
Shoal.  This morning's news from the Tongan newspaper Matangi (Tonga online)
had quotes from a fisherman who had been near the scene and had noted the
emergence of a new island in vicinity of HOME REEF.
	Home Reef is the next known active volcano south of Metis Shoal.  We
have not yet received photos of the new island but it is apparently large. See
known Holocene volcanoes arranged geographically (S to N) at
http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/region.cfm?rnum=0403 .  The eruptions
themselves would have been considerably earlier than the rafts, perhaps mid- or
early August.

	As discussed on our website, Home Reef constructed an island in 1984
that had an estimated size of 500 x 1500 m and a height of 30-50 m. Large
amounts of floating pumice were later encountered by passing ships.
http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/volcano.cfm?vnum=0403-
08=&VErupt=Y&VSources=Y&VRep=Y&VWeekly=N&volpage=photos&photo=016028

FURTHER RESEARCH.  We have yet to see photos of the new island and the exact
coordinates are also lacking.  We hope to persuade colleagues in the aviation
and remote-sensing fields to look for aerial and satellite views of the Home
Reef region (18.992°S, 174.775°W; 18°59'30"S, 174°46'30"W)  around the inferred
time of eruption.  We just found mariner's blogs that indicates strong
eruptions were seen on 12 August, and the new island emerged from the sea by 13
August 2006.

Here are few more key questions that quickly come to mind:

How extensive were the rafts?  At maximum how much surface area did they
cover?  We might then estimate a volume for the floating pumice.  What volume
of material piled up near the vent to form the island? What was the chemistry
of the material erupted? How much material now litters the sea floor and is it
fundamentally analogous to broad tephra deposits from larger eruptions (eg. for
the Caribbean, the Los Chocoyos ash described by Drexler et al., 1980, Quat.
Res., 13, 327-345).

Better knowing the location and timing of the eruption, can we find one or more
geophysical or satellite signals that may signify these eruptions?

What atmospheric impact, if any, did the eruption have?

What will be the fate and impact of the rafts?  Previous rafts from this region
have made it at least as far as Australia.

We will have an initial report in the upcoming Bulletin.  If you learn
something about this event, please contact us.

Thank you,

Rick Wunderman and Ed Venzke

wunderma@xxxxxx; gvn@xxxxxx

Editors,
Bulletin of the Global Volcanism Network
Smithsonian Institution
National Museum of Natural History
10th & Constitution Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20560-0119