Fall AGU session: Rifting episodes

************************************
Fall AGU session:  Rifting episodes
************************************
From: Freysteinn Sigmundsson <fs@xxxxx>

Dear All,

We are soliciting contributions to a session at the AGU fall meeting on dike
injection episodes, prompted by last year's activity in Ethiopia. In
addition to the results on the events in Ethiopia, we are particularly
interested in presentations of results from previous rifting episodes in
Iceland, Djibouti and on mid-ocean ridges. We also welcome contributions
describing dike injection episodes in other areas. Deadline for
contributions is 7 September.

Freysteinn Sigmundsson, Tim J Wright and Roger Buck

Session T31: New Observations of Dike Injection Episodes in Extensional
Terrains
Conveners: Tim J Wright, Freysteinn Sigmundsson, Roger Buck

Oceanic and late-stage continental rifting occurs by episodic dike injection
along discrete magmatic segments in so-called "rifting episodes". Such
episodes are rarely observed and hence their kinematics and dynamics are not
fully understood. In September 2005, a seismic swarm around the Dabbahu
(Boina) rift segment in Afar, Ethiopia, was associated with the intrusion of
a 60 km long dike, up to 8 m wide, along the entire rift segment. This is
the largest rifting episode to have occurred subaerially since the Krafla
(Iceland 1975-1984) and Asal-Ghoubbet (Djibouti, 1978) episodes, and offers
a unique opportunity to learn about crustal growth at divergent plate
boundaries. We invite contributions that describe results from the broad
spectrum of geophysical and geological techniques that have been applied to
subaerial and submarine rifting episodes. This includes, but is not
restricted to, seismology, geodesy, petrology, structural geology, remote
sensing, magnetotellurics, marine geophysics and modelling. We are
particularly interested in studies of previous rifting episodes (on land and
submarine), observational or theoretical investigations of the whole rifting
cycle (co-, post- and inter-rifting deformation), and constraints on the
role of magma.