2 inquiries: Unwanted mineral separates and contact information

Looking for unwanted mineral separates
From: Sheila Seaman <sjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm working with Darby Dyar of Mt. Holyoke College, and with Don Lac, an
M.S. student here at the University of Massachusetts, on a project that
involves Mossbauer and FTIR analysis of plagioclase and co-existing biotite
and/or hornblende mineral separates in volcanic rocks across a range of
compositions.   At this point we are trying to borrow samples from people
who have volcanic samples that they have studied and on which they have
determined oxygen fugacity, by whatever means (Fe-Ti oxides most
typically).  We are looking for samples with coexisting amphibole or
biotite, and plagioclase.  Ideally we are looking for mineral separates
that people produced for some project and no longer need.  We would
determine ferric/ferrous ratios on the ferromagnesian phase by Mossbauer
spectroscopy, water fugacity on melt inclusions hopefully in the feldspar
crystals, calculate hydrogen fugacity from the ferric/ferrous ratios of
amphibole or biotite crystals, and then, using the dissociation constant of
water, we would independently calculate oxygen fugacity.  Then we would
measure ferric/ferrous ratios in the feldspar crystals and see if we can
establish an empirical correlation with the oxygen fugacity established by
two different means.  That's the plan.   If you have any mineral separates
from some volcanic suites that are just sitting around, and for which you
have no future use, we would welcome the contribution.

Thanks,

Sheila Seaman

Sheila Seaman
Associate Professor
Department of Geosciences
University of Massachusetts
611 North Pleasant Street
Amherst, MA  01003
www.geo.umass.edu

Contact information for Chuck Wood
From: Janet Tanaka <jmtanaka@xxxxxxxxx>

Friends, I need to contact Chuck Wood for some permission to reprint material
from his old Volcano World website.  Anybody have an email/postal address for
him?
Thanks.                                  Janet Tanaka