[VLAN] unregister_netdevice

On Thursday 21 July 2005 19:51, Ben Greear wrote:

> One other thing:  Have you tried specifically dropping each VLAN
> interface before unloading the module:  ifconfig ethX.foo down

At the first time I was thinking to remove the 8021q module
but the whole connection goes through the tagged vlans and the module
starts at the system initialization. That's why  I did not insert it in the
 network script.
The fragment of this script is:
route_destroy ()
{
       # link destroy
       /sbin/ip link set dev lo down &> /dev/null
       /sbin/ip link set dev eth1 down &>/dev/null
       sleep 10
       /sbin/ip link set dev eth0 down &> /dev/null
       sleep 5
       # vlan destroy
       /usr/sbin/vconfig rem eth0.778 &>/dev/null
       /usr/sbin/vconfig rem eth0.2242 &>/dev/null
******
}
where "sleep"-s aim to slow down the removal of vlans, and produce effects
when the load is about 60-80mbit.
And also I have four other machines with vlans which do not remove
the 8021q module and do not have the same problem. These machines are
indentical in terms of software and kernel version.
At the beginning I was thinking that the problem is in 'ip' utility, but now I
don't think so. Because without restarting the network everything is working
 properly. I tried experiments with network scripts which destroyed the
systems and then I saw non-working 'ip' utility and it is different.
Now I rather think that the problem is somewhere
between the vlans number on the device and the networking load.

best regards