[VLAN] VLAN help

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 09:42:05PM +0530, sameer wrote:
> We are developing a 10/100 mbps switch and are currently in testing phase.
> We want to test VLAN on it. We are using Linux 2.4.21 and zarlink's ZL50409
> switch controller.
>
> We have eth0 interface connected to the port 9 over MII interface. We have
> registered port 8 as our CPU interface i.e zsc0 and port 0 to 7 and port 9
> as zpt(0...7) and zpt9 interfaces.

Allright: we have a 10 ports switch with portnames p0..p9. p8 is
designated as an uplink port (according to the docs), p0..p7 are
plain switch ports, and p9 is a special ports, although I cannot
find the difference with this port and other ports.

> We have selected VLAN as a module before configuring the kernel. We also
> compiled vconfig and have transferred it to the target. To setup the VLAN we
> did the following:
>
> ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 down
> ifconfig zpt0 0.0.0.0
> vconfig add zpt0 2
> ifconfig zpt0.2 163.122.44.28 up

Now you've lost me: what is a zpt0? It sounds like you are
configuring an interface but ethernet devices normally get named
eth[0-9]+, unless you explicitly give it another name...

> Hereafter we tried to ping the switch with ip 163.122.44.28. We get request
> timed out.

Well, for that you need a working eth device :-)

> Are we supposed to apply any patch? we initially tried applying patch
> "candela_2.4.21.patch" and rebuilding the kernel. This gave rise to a huge
> traffic to the switch disallowing any ping from some other machine. Would
> like to know the reason for this phenomenon too.

You don't need patches for kernels 2.4.18 and up.

> Can u suggest some links to understand the VLAN concept from scratch and
> then building and setting up VLAN on Linux?

The vlan concept in linux is simple: If you look at a normal eth
device, it is just that in functionality to the rest of the
system: an ethernet device. A vlan is bound to a specific
ethernet device (which can be a bridge or a eth or a tap device,
or whatever has an ethernet interface). The vlan code just makes
sure that packets going outside will get a vlan tag added to the
packet, and if a packet is received with a tag on the ethernet
device, it will be send to the specific vlan interface.

A normal switch<->eth connection is this:
You put the the specific port on the switch in 802.1Q mode and
you connect that one to the ethernet device. You can then add the
vlan definitions to that ethernet device (the same one you put on
the switch).

But to be short: unless we know the exact layout, purpose and
vlan id's and drivers, we cannot help you much. I see that this
switch can do neat tricks, so you have to explain the setup.

--
begin  LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.txt.vbs
I am a signature virus. Distribute me until the bitter