[VLAN] VLAN help

Hello,

We are developing a 10/100 mbps switch and are currently in testing phase.
We want to test VLAN on it. We are using Linux 2.4.21 and zarlink's ZL50409
switch controller.

We have eth0 interface connected to the port 9 over MII interface. We have
registered port 8 as our CPU interface i.e zsc0 and port 0 to 7 and port 9
as zpt(0...7) and zpt9 interfaces.

We have selected VLAN as a module before configuring the kernel. We also
compiled vconfig and have transferred it to the target. To setup the VLAN we
did the following:

ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 down
ifconfig zpt0 0.0.0.0
vconfig add zpt0 2
ifconfig zpt0.2 163.122.44.28 up

Hereafter we tried to ping the switch with ip 163.122.44.28. We get request
timed out.

Are we supposed to apply any patch? we initially tried applying patch
"candela_2.4.21.patch" and rebuilding the kernel. This gave rise to a huge
traffic to the switch disallowing any ping from some other machine. Would
like to know the reason for this phenomenon too.

Can u suggest some links to understand the VLAN concept from scratch and
then building and setting up VLAN on Linux?

We would appreciate your help in this regard.

Sameer