[VLAN] Re: Vlan Digest, Vol 7, Issue 3

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 05:57:19AM -0000, yerra srihari rao wrote:
>  ?Hi all,
> I am new to vlan.I have some doubts with respect to vlan.
> 1) what is native vlan.

In a configuration where several VLANs are sent over the same wire,
often called a trunk, one VLAN may be sent without a VLAN tag. This
VLAN is the native VLAN. Which VLAN it is will vary with the
manufacturer. Cisco defaults to 1 for the native VLAN. Ie. traffic in
VLAN 1 will never be tagged.

In Linux, the native VLAN is available on the "main" interface that
VLANs have been added to using vconfig.

> 2)I want to know IVR[Inter vlan Rounting].How this works .I have
> understood the how comunication happens within vlans.If possible
> tell me the URL regarding this.

Usually routing between VLANs will be handled in the exact same way
as routing between mulitple physical LANs. This is the case for
Linux, unless of course you provide more specific routing policies
overriding the default.

//Peter