[VLAN] VLAN Drivers

Aaron,

Thank you very much for your elaborate answer. I will make full use of your advice and hopefully I should achieve more than what i thought. In the meantime i also forward your useful info to the whole VLAN community as it may be very useful to most other members too.

Best Regards,

Cyprian.

"Brown, Aaron F" <aaron.f.brown@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
Testing the VLAN configuration depends on what equipment you have.  If you are using a switch that supports 802.1q VLANs, simply getting it running in a manner where your system with VLAN enabled is connected to tagged ports (configured for the VLANs in question) on the switch and confirm connectivity (ping) with systems connected to non tagged ports configured for the VLANs in question on the same switch.  These systems should not have a VLAN driver on them as the switch will take care of adding and stripping the VLAN tags for any systems that are not connected to a ?tagged? port.

Are you familiar with packet sniffers?  I personally like ?ethereal? (an xwindow based packet sniffer) but any software that can capture and display packets will do
  If you connect the VLAN configured adapter to a hub (or to a switch that lets you monitor traffic from on the switch on a single port [often called mirroring a port, Cisco calls it spanning a port] you should be able to view the packets and see the VLAN tags.  Unless your Ethernet driver is too smart and strips the tags for you ;-)  See http://www.ethereal.com/, and search google for words like ?802.1Q? and ?packet capture? for more info in this line.

What you are looking for is a packet with an ethertype of 8100 in hex, the fields (4 hex digits) following the ethertype of an 802.1Q tagged packet define a priority scheme and the VLAN ID.  The first hex digit (8 bits) is defines the priority and can essentially be ignored as far as VLANs are concerned, the other three bits are the VLAN ID.  Translating them from hex to decimal gives you the decimal value of the VLAN, e.g. if my tags value is ?01ef?, ?0? is the priority bit and ?1ef? is the VLAN ID, which when converted to decimal is 495, e.g. VLAN ID 485.   This alludes to an answer for the question you sent after this, of how many hex bits are used for VLAN.  The answer is the VLAN Tag data consists of 4 hex digits, but only 3 of them are involved with VLANs.

Hope this helps,

Aaron