[VLAN] VLAN Drivers

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 08:02:36PM +0000, Cyprian Clement wrote:
> The question I have is how can  I send packets across different
> desired VLANS? Is there any tool(s) or means to achieve this? Also
> once i achieve this is there any way/tool i can verify that packets
> are actually going to and reaching the desired vlan/destination?

VLAN interfaces work just like regular physical LAN interfaces. You
select which interface you want to communicate through by binding to
a particular interface address. Commonly, this is the IP address.

> I have created VLANS using the vconfig command as follows:
>
> 1. one first machine i have eth2 with vlans 2 and 3. both vlans i
> have assigned the same ip i.e. 10.1.0.58
>
> 2. on the second machine i have eth3 with vlans 2 and 3. both vlans
> i have assigned same ip 10.1.0.59

Unless you are absolutely sure that you need the same IP address on
multiple interfaces, I suggest you reconsider this configuration.
Distinct IP addresses on each interface make all matters easier.

If you do need the same IP address on both VLANs, you will probably
want to investigate bridging, or the more advanced alternative source
routing, to allow Linux to know when to send packets out to which
interface.

//Peter