[VLAN] Question about bind_type

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 11:02:16AM +0100, Peter Stuge wrote:
> You can still achieve the same thing of course, it just
> requires one bridge per VLAN.

Yeah, when I thought about why PER_KERNEL was removed, I came to
the conclusion that most Linux boxes are used as Layer 3 routers
rather than Layer 2 switches.  The 802.1d bridging code would be
the only thing that operates on a Layer 2 level, but even that
provides a Layer 3 interface.  I figured that if you wanted to
share VLANs across interfaces, then you'd have to have them bound
together at the Layer 2 level, hence why PER_DEVICE on a bridge
interface would do the job.  :-)

It was mostly the leftover documentation that was the reason for
my question.  I wasn't sure if there was a precompiler flag that
turns on the functionality or not.  Appreciate the help on this,
though!

chris
--
http://headnut.org