Re: Warning : Failed to set up UEFI / The Libvirt version does not support UEFI / Install options are limited...

virsh domcapabilities --machine virt --emulatorbin /path/to/qemu-system-arm

error: failed to get emulator capabilities
error: Cannot check QEMU binary /path/to/qemu-system-arm: No such file or directory

On Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 4:49 PM Pavel Hrdina <phrdina@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 04:05:09PM +0200, Mario Marietto wrote:
> Where does libvirt want to find those files ? since the qemu 5.1
> installation files have been placed under /usr/local during the command
> make install,I have also copied the firmware files in :
>
> ls /usr/local/share/AAVMF
>
> AAVMF32_CODE.fd  AAVMF_CODE.fd     AAVMF_CODE.snakeoil.fd  AAVMF_VARS.ms.fd
> AAVMF32_VARS.fd  AAVMF_CODE.ms.fd  AAVMF_VARS.fd
>           AAVMF_VARS.snakeoil.fd
>
> but they aren't still recognized.

Downgrading libvirt would not help in this specific case. Since version
5.2.0 libvirt uses firmware auto-selection. Libvirt is looking for json
files describing available firmwares. It is documented in QEMU project
git repository in `docs/interop/firmware.json`, this specific section
describes where the json files should be placed:

# It is recommended to create firmware JSON files (each containing a
# single @Firmware root element) with a double-digit prefix, for example
# "50-ovmf.json", "50-seabios-256k.json", etc, so they can be sorted in
# predictable order. The firmware JSON files should be searched for in
# three directories:
#
#   - /usr/share/qemu/firmware -- populated by distro-provided firmware
#                                 packages (XDG_DATA_DIRS covers
#                                 /usr/share by default),
#
#   - /etc/qemu/firmware -- exclusively for sysadmins' local additions,
#
#   - $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/qemu/firmware -- exclusively for per-user local
#                                       additions (XDG_CONFIG_HOME
#                                       defaults to $HOME/.config).

It doesn't matter where the *CODE* and *VARS* firmware files are placed
if the path to these files is correct in the json files in one of the
three directories.

Looking at the qemu-efi-arm package it should install

    /usr/share/AAVMF/AAVMF32_CODE.fd
    /usr/share/AAVMF/AAVMF32_VARS.fd
    /usr/share/qemu/firmware/60-edk2-arm.json

and that should be picked up correctly by libvirt.

I don't know what machine types are available for 32bit ARM, but you
should be able to figure that out by running:

    virsh capabilities | grep canonical

it will show only lines with machine types, but my guess is on arm there
should be 'virt' machine type so running

    virsh domcapabilities --machine virt --emulatorbin /path/to/qemu-system-arm

where you should be able to see the firmware paths if they are correctly
detected by libvirt.

Pavel

--
Mario.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Virtualization]     [KVM Development]     [CentOS Virtualization]     [Netdev]     [Ethernet Bridging]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Forum]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]