Re: cannot update to version 3.0.0

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 08:54:08PM +0200, odoggmts@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Dear Pavel,
> many thanks for your fast answer. I am not so interested in the latest
> version as I am in solving 2 problems I have with the current one:1)
> Getting rid of the audio echo on my Webcam for my Windows Client. My
> correspondants all complain that they hear themselves and I have no
> Idea how to solve the issue. The Microsoft Lifecam is well found and it
> works but with echo.2)	Getting more video ram into virt-manager. Now I
> cannot use my DQHD resolution for my Windows client because I cannot
> exceed the 64MB video memory.I am really sorry for the questions but do
> you have an idea where I could address those issues?
> many thanks again for your time.
> kind regards,

Hi,

With the first issue I'm not able to give you any advice as I have very
little experience with that kind of setup. For the second issue the
video RAM configuration is a bit messy as there are three values related
to video RAM. You don't need a newer version of virt-manager to fix it,
you can run this command in your terminal:

    virt-xml VM_NAME --edit --video model.ram=131072,model.vram=131072,model.vgamem=65536

as these values should cover your setup. You can also use:

    virsh edit VM_NAME

and find the video device and change the values directly in VM XML.

Pavel

> On Tue, 2020-09-29 at 15:35 +0200, Pavel Hrdina wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 03:08:25PM +0200, odoggmts@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Dear,
> > I do not know if it the information is online but I could not find
> > it. I would like to update to virt-manager and virt-viewer on my
> > Linux Mint19.3 version. But the repository keeps stating that the
> > latest versionis already installed  on 1.5.1 and i cannot get the
> > latest version. Sohow could I upgrade to the latest version?
> > many thanks in advance.
> > Hi,
> > I have some bad news for you. If you want to use only software
> > fromLinux Mint repositories you are out of luck. Linux mint 19.3 is
> > basedon Ubuntu 18.04 LTS which has virt-manager 1.5.1 as well. My
> > guess isthat the maintainers will not rebase the package to newer
> > version.
> > Your option here to get a newer version from distribution packages
> > isto upgrade to Linux Mint 20 which is based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
> > wherethey have virt-manager 2.2.1.
> > The newest upstream version 3.0.0 will slowly roll into
> > variousdistributions but it will take some time as it's fairly new.
> > If you want to have the latest version you can wait for Linux Mint
> > topick it up but that will take a long time as the next Ubuntu LTS
> > willprobably be 22.04 which will probably be released in April 2022.
> > Your other option is to download upstream virt-manager from here
> > [1],unpack the archive and run it directly from the unpacked
> > directory asthere is no need to install it. I would definitely not
> > recommendinstalling any software outside of the official
> > distributionrepositories as it may break your system.
> > Pavel
> > [1] <https://virt-manager.org/download/>

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Virtualization]     [KVM Development]     [CentOS Virtualization]     [Netdev]     [Ethernet Bridging]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Forum]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]