Re: cannot update to version 3.0.0

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 03:08:25PM +0200, odoggmts@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Dear,
>
> I do not know if it the information is online but I could not find it.
> I would like to update to virt-manager and virt-viewer on my Linux Mint
> 19.3 version. But the repository keeps stating that the latest version
> is already installed  on 1.5.1 and i cannot get the latest version. So
> how could I upgrade to the latest version?
>
> many thanks in advance.

Hi,

I have some bad news for you. If you want to use only software from
Linux Mint repositories you are out of luck. Linux mint 19.3 is based
on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS which has virt-manager 1.5.1 as well. My guess is
that the maintainers will not rebase the package to newer version.

Your option here to get a newer version from distribution packages is
to upgrade to Linux Mint 20 which is based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS where
they have virt-manager 2.2.1.

The newest upstream version 3.0.0 will slowly roll into various
distributions but it will take some time as it's fairly new.

If you want to have the latest version you can wait for Linux Mint to
pick it up but that will take a long time as the next Ubuntu LTS will
probably be 22.04 which will probably be released in April 2022.

Your other option is to download upstream virt-manager from here [1],
unpack the archive and run it directly from the unpacked directory as
there is no need to install it. I would definitely not recommend
installing any software outside of the official distribution
repositories as it may break your system.

Pavel

[1] <https://virt-manager.org/download/>

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Virtualization]     [KVM Development]     [CentOS Virtualization]     [Netdev]     [Ethernet Bridging]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Forum]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]