Re: Virt Manager Connection Groups / Resource Pools

Makes sense. In the case that we do want to manage many hosts what manager would you recommend? We want to use vanilla KVM and manage hundreds of hosts. We have investigated several of the other tools and most seem to require that something else be running on the hosts besides just libvirtd to be able to manage them. And others want you to use their OS instead of your choice linux with libvirtd installed. If you have any suggestions they would be much appreciated. Thanks

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Cole Robinson <crobinso@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 02/25/2013 03:54 PM, Nathaniel Cook wrote:

> With KVM and virt-manager is there a concept of resource pools? I want to
> manage several independent sets of KVM hosts ( a.k.a. pool). I would like the
> hosts in the pool to be associated with each other and be aware of other
> members in the pool.
>
> One of several things would satisfy my requirements:
>
> 1. Be able to manage set of connections in virt-manager as a group.
> Autoconnect/connect/disconnect from the entire group.
> 2. Run multiple virt-manager instances each connecting to a different set of
> KVM hosts

Run multiple virt-manager instances on the same physical host? What's the use
case exactly?

> 3. Connect to one KVM host who is aware of the rest of the hosts in its pool.

I don't know what 'aware' means in this context.

> I would prefer option 1 before 2 etc. I am also willing to add the concept of
> connection groups to virt-manager if others see this as a useful addition.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think this is something that makes sense for
virt-manager. We are really targeting users with a small number of hosts and a
small number of virtual machines. Of course, we don't want the app to fall
over if you have 20 connections, but I don't have any interest in adding
explicit, potentially complex and/or confusing UI to facilitate a workflow
that would really only apply to a small percentage of all virt-manager usage.

- Cole

--
-Nathaniel Cook