Re: Integartion with systemd and rtcwake

Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 08:29:48AM +0200, Harald Milz wrote:
Let me put my unsolicited €0.02 in. My mindset is pretty hackerish as
well, but I'm also an engineer thinking in efficiency terms. The raspi is what it is, and it is a nice building block for many jobs. If I wanted to build a vdr, I'd either let the raspi run permanently (given its low energy demand) or get a Pico PSU powered mini itx board with an embedded CPU, like one of the low-power (4.3-10W) celerons, and let it wake up and shut down when needed.

That sounds reasonable. On any x86 or x86-64 hardware from the past 15 to 20 years, you can expect "rtcwake" to work. I will try to get around to testing that part of my script soon.

One thing that I am somewhat proud of is the Systemd configuration to have VDR start up automatically when a USB video storage drive is plugged in. It is in a sense turning a deficiency into a virtue. Yes, the video storage is a discrete component, but you can easily swap drives, with no extra user interface needed beyond the USB cable and the power button on the remote control unit. Such pluggable storage might also be useful in a small form factor PC setup, if you want a quiet system and need access to more storage than a single SSD can offer.

I just updated https://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Raspberry_Pi with a few more options for each category, as well as some pictures of my setup.

I also uploaded pictures of a disassembled Hauppauge remote control unit at https://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Remote_control in case someone might find it useful, for taking apart and fixing theirs.

	Marko