Re: half-viewed recordings, can they be moved at the top of the list?

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Mika Laitio <lamikr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I don't think it's difficult to do right at all to be honest. You can
>> just make user-defined thresholds so the the user can decide himself
>> how many mins or % of the total recording triggers the partial-view
>> and viewed flags. For example one guy might want:
>>
>> not-viewed: <5% viewed
>> partial-viewed: 5%+ viewed
>> viewed: 95%+ viewed
>>
>> and another guy could customize it differently such as <10%, 10%+,
>> 99%+...  This way the user gets the 3 flags and gets to decide when
>> they're triggered. I think this would satisfy the majority/most users
>> with low difficulty to implement.
>
> Percentages would not work well as 5% is much more from 20 minute
> recording than 2 hour movie.

Percentages make the most sense to me because 1) the user can decide
for himself what threshold he wants to use, and 2) using a percentage
when you have recordings of different lengths is better than using a
single Xmin value which would probably only work well with recordings
of a single length. A playtime of 20mins might work well for an hour
long show but would be ridiculous for a 30min show -- hardcoded values
always suck, the user can decide what he likes without outside help.

My personal preference would be 25% / 90%.

25% of 30mins is 7.5mins
25% of 60mins is 15mins
25% of 120mins is 30mins

90% of 30mins is 27mins
90% of 60mins is 54mins
90% of 120mins is 108mins

It's reasonable to say if you've watched 7.5mins of a 30min show,
you've watched it partially and if you've watched 27mins, you've
watched it.
Same for 15mins/54mins of a 60min show, and 30mins/108mins of a 120min show.

To me that's far better than setting one value and forcing it on every
recording no matter what the length is, and it makes it possible to
customize it to your own individual preference (which I'm almost
always a big supporter of). Problems like this are best solved when
you ask what works best for most people in most cases, because there
is no "perfect" solution.