Re: [DISCUSSION REQUEST] reintroduce a common make configuration file in VDR-1.7.35

On 28.12.2012 14:42, Udo Richter wrote:
Am 28.12.2012 09:29, schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
On 28.12.2012 00:47, Dominic Evans wrote:

   IF YOU BREAK USERSPACE I HATE YOU AND YOU ARE A TERRIBLE PERSON

Not breaking userspace is, of course, the right thing to do in a *stable*
version of any software.

In Linux context, it actually means keep compatibility to any userspace app across as many generations of stable releases as possible. It means for example, that any program written and compiled against the DVBv3 API still works, and will work for several years on, even though DVBv5 is so much better.

For plugin developers it means, don't demand that the user has to use a certain VDR version. If plugin foo only works with VDR-1.7.xy, and plugin bar requires VDR-1.7.ab, the user looses. Good plugins should work with any version at least back to the last stable release. And the recent changes
didn't make things easier.

Right now I'm in the awkward situation that I cannot port my plugins to .34 because for serious tests I need ported versions of several other plugins. Its a chicken-and-egg thing, and right now all the eggs are broken.

So should we go back to the Makefiles of version 1.7.33 and declare this
area of the program source "untouchable" forever?
Maybe this would be the easiest solution, and I wouldn't get bashed, offended
and insulted that much any more.
Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected such an outrage about this
change, which was entirely intended to make things simpler in the future.
But if this is not what people want, then let's just stick with the old
Makefiles and declare version 1.7.34 a complete and utter failure...

Beware - I'm not kidding about this! If this whining keeps going on, I will
switch back to version 1.7.33 Makefiles, and I won't dare touch them again
any time soon! After all, I didn't make this change because *I* wanted it...

Klaus