Re: VDR on Raspberry Pi

On 1 October 2012 08:21, Dave <vdr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 30/09/12 23:04, Laurence Abbott wrote:
>>
>> On 30 September 2012 19:50, Dave<vdr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm using VOMP on Raspberry Pi as my main output device. The OSD is still
>>> work-in-progress but all the VOMP features are working and TV quality is
>>> fine (though I haven't used HD yet).
>>

>> Oooo...interesting. I'm currently using an Ion ITX board for my
>> front-end using xineliboutput. It works but the frontend needs
>> restarting many times a day which gets a tad annoying! I@m very
>> tempted to sort something else out and at 25-quid or so, a Raspberry
>> Pi sounds like it could be my next thing to try!
>
> You also need to buy a licence code to enable the GPU decoder for MPEG-2 at
> £2.40 (MPEG-4 is already enabled).

Slightly annoying but not a deal-breaker.

>> I've got a couple of MediaMVPs that I use occasionally with VOMP but I
>> didn't realise much was still being done on the development of it. I
>> can't find much on t'internet about VOMP on the Pi, though, apart form
>> the git repository and the forum.
>>
>> Does VOMP run the same on the Pi as on the MediaMVPs, i.e. totally
>> separate frontend with it's own remote? What remote receivers are
>> supported?
>
> It currently uses CEC, ie passthrough from the TV over HDMI, and so uses the
> TV's remote. Of course not all TV remotes are the same, and different TVs
> have different ideas about which buttons to pass through...

Oooo...not come across CEC before: will have to look into it...

I see that OSD is a work-in-progress but presumably it will be its own
OSD (like the MediaMVPs) rather than "forwarding" the standard vdr
OSD. The thing I always missed from the MediaMVPs was the inability to
interact with plugins like epgsearch.

At the price of these things, I suspect I'll be getting one to test
this anyway! And I suspect lots of people who bought them initially
have discovered that they are not quite the computing experience they
expected and will be moving them on cheaply...!

;-)

Cheers,

Laz