Re: VDR on Raspberry Pi

On 30/09/12 19:03, Morfsta wrote:
Hi,
Now that Raspberry Pis are quite common, cheap (~£25) and
easily acquired (I received my order within 2 days from Farnell) has
anyone considered whether it might be feasible to put together an output
plugin for VDR for it? It is now possible to play MPEG-2 (with a codec
license costing £2.40) as well as 1080p H.264 with hardware acceleration.
There is work on VOMP (previously on Hauppauge MediaMVP) to work as a
VDR client on the Pi and as far as I can see quite a lot of progress has
been made. I'm wondering whether it would be possible to run VDR with
HDMI video / audio output on one of these too and given the work done so
far on VOMP and XBMC how difficult it would be to create an output plugin?
Cheers,
Morfsta

I'm using VOMP on Raspberry Pi as my main output device. The OSD is still work-in-progress but all the VOMP features are working and TV quality is fine (though I haven't used HD yet).

Running VDR directly on the Pi might be more difficult. The savings that were made to keep the cost down mean that USB relies heavily on software, also Ethernet is handled via the USB controller. A USB TV receiver, plus a USB hard disk plus perhaps a remote TV player via ethernet may be too much for the device to handle.
--
Dave