Re: who is the actual Maintainer of vdr-plugin-yaepg?

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Joerg Bornkessel <ml@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The true author of the plugin in bball. The last homepage for the
>> plugin is
>> http://projects.vdr-developer.org/git/vdr-plugin-yaepghd.git/
> this is the HighDefinition project and will not work on SD Cards
> without 4Mb modification

Correct, but bball is still the true author. He created yaepg, and
later yaepghd.

>> but I do know he lost his password a long time ago.
> This sounds for me, he give up the project.
> - last commit january 2009
> - a lot of open bugs...

Hard to commit changes when you don't have the password. He never
abandoned it, regardless of the long time since last changes.

> It isn't a problem to ask the owner form vdr-developer.org
> to reset the password or/and add a new one

If the own of vdr-developer.org is willing to do that, sure, but if he
does then he should only add a login for an appropriate maintainer not
just anybody who wants to merge their own patches. Are you willing to
take the full responsibility of a maintainer?

>> From what I was
>> told Captiveworks just took it and made their own fork so I guess you
>> could do the same.
>
> No fork, without to kontakt the last maintainer.
> I will not support the chaos on the internet and add a new release
> somewhere in the wilderness...

Since you applied your patches to their fork, I guess you should ask
them to merge your patches there. Honestly, yaepg[hd] would be better
off re-written from the ground up but I doubt anyone have the
motivation to do it.