Re: [ANNOUNCE] VDR developer version 1.7.24

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Udo Richter <udo_richter@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Am 01.03.2012 07:03, schrieb VDR User:
>> one option to spread
>> the workload could be Klaus assigning different portions to different
>> contributors that would like to work on it. If Klaus is clear about
>> what he wants and is in good communication with other coders, perhaps
>> it could become more of a team effort with Klaus as team captain..
>
> The number of Klaus per VDR has always been quite limited. A developer
> team would surely speed things up, but I also understand that Klaus
> prefers to keep all development in his own hands instead of delegating
> and supervising. Letting 'his baby' off the hook isn't easy, and I would
> understand if he prefers to keep it under control.

I'm not talking about him releasing control of anything. I'm talking
about people wanting & willing to help develope, being assigned a code
task and parameters. When the work is complete, Klaus reviews and
either accepts/merges, or instructs the coder what needs to be
changed. There's no reason for Klaus to release control of anything in
this model. As long as there's a clear instruction of what he wants,
and good communication along the way, I can't think of any good reason
against it.

In a sense this already happens, just on a smaller scale. VDR already
contains non-Klaus code. Surely there's a middle ground where
development can be assisted because in reality this doesn't need to
take forever. Nobody expects it to be finished in a week, but it
doesn't need to take forever either.