Re: [ANNOUNCE] VDR developer version 1.7.24

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Udo Richter <udo_richter@xxxxxx> wrote:
> In any case this would be the biggest rewrite of major parts of VDR
> ever, with lots of breakage, total loss of plugin compatibility and very
> long development cycle.

It's not a small task, but I believe the end product will be well
worth the effort. VDR has the benefit of having coder support. If
people are willing (as I think they would be), one option to spread
the workload could be Klaus assigning different portions to different
contributors that would like to work on it. If Klaus is clear about
what he wants and is in good communication with other coders, perhaps
it could become more of a team effort with Klaus as team captain..
It's a lot of work but there's no reason it should take years to
complete either. Especially if the design is well-thought out ahead of
time.

As far as plugin breakage..  I would expect there to be some growing
pains and plugin maintainers needing to fix/add support for this is
just a necessary part of the progression. Keep in mind, people have
been wishing for VDR to go this route for quite a while so even if it
means extra work fixing plugins, I think you'll find more people
welcoming this change than not.