Re: [Patch] Make RGYB buttons customizeable

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 2:54 PM, fnu <vdr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> vdr-user:
>> That's definitely not true. ÂI have about 8 different remotes and at least half don't use that button order. ÂIn addition, not every remote has color buttons 4 in a row. ÂPlenty of them make a square around other buttons such as 'ok/enter' for example.
>
> Oliver Schinagl:
>> I wasn't aware that the order of buttons was standarized on remotes
>
> ===
>
> Well, could be that not all remotes for each pinchy device might provide color keys at all or in this order. But if they are somehow TV oriented, they follow this order in a global manner, even the M$ ones, if they have colored keys.
>
> You want an evidence? Just check out the universal remotes form the big three manufactures, Philips, Logitech & One-for-All, if the devices do offer colored keys, the order is RGYB, nothing left, nothing right, and you should really ask yourself, why?
>
> And, the most important point, global standard or not, it has been defined as standard in VDR a century ago, and this is a fact.

I'm not sure why you're trying to argue this.  There are users in this
thread (including myself) that already own remote(s) that don't follow
this order.  Assuming they're all for some "pinchy device" is silly.
ALL of my remotes either came with dvb cards or sold as a media remote
-- all of which are 'oriented' for tv among other devices.

Also, you pointing out remote makers that follow the RGYB _scheme_
doesn't void the fact that plenty of remotes exist that don't.  It's
funny you use Logitech as one of your examples considering they make a
mixture of remotes that do and don't follow that button scheme.  That
goes against your claims, not suport them.

Ignoring remotes that don't follow the RGYB scheme doesn't make them
any less 'tv oriented' or go away.  I can't imagine it's much of a
leap to make the colored button position customizable and is probably
something that's better to have then not.  What good argument against
allowing the user to customize the layout according to their actual
remote button layout could there be?  None that I can think of.  I'd
guess Klaus will consider any patches submitted to him which don't
cause problems.  Regardless, users always have the option to patch the
feature in if it doesn't become a part of VDR's core.